Removing Toxic Materials From Homes

Written by  //  April 6, 2014  //  Home Structure  //  Comments Off on Removing Toxic Materials From Homes

Many homes can be unsafe for people to live in. Older homes can be full of harmful materials that have been considered standard in the construction industry. By law, all landlords are required to upgrade properties that contain traces of materials that are now considered toxic. Asbestos is a common example of a harmful material that had multiple applications in the construction industry during the 20th century. Asbestos has been used for insulation, floors, ceilings and roof shingles. However, this popular material was concluded to be toxic by the 1980s.

At that point, millions of homes have already been built with Asbestos containing materials. New regulations forced landlords to make immediate upgrades to homes that contain Asbestos. Lawsuits are usually filed against any landlord that fails to follow federal regulations regarding housing and Asbestos removal. Environmental Remedies is an example of a fully licensed company that can remove all traces of Asbestos from a home.

Asbestos often leads to a type of rare condition known as Mesothelioma. This cancer develops in the internal linings of the body. In fact, Mesothelioma is not just a respiratory condition. By breathing in Asbestos, people essentially develop problems all over their body. However, the inner linings of the lungs are the first organs that are damaged by Asbestos particles. Even smokers have the right to file Asbestos lawsuits against landlords that failed to remove the toxic materials from a rental property.

Lead is another common material that was used in the construction industry of much of the 20th century. However, Lead is considered toxic even at very small doses. Plumbing fixtures in older homes were most likely made of real lead. Lead based paints were also used to cover the interior of most homes during the 20th century.

Lead removal services are available to completely eliminate any traces of this toxic chemical from the interior of a home. Lead poisoning leads to various problems with the nervous system and kidneys. Other mild symptoms such as nose bleeds and headaches are common when lead is inhaled or comes in contact with the skin.

Mold growth can also cause major problems inside any home. Mold develops in interior spaces that have high humidity. The first step towards mold removal is a drying process that reduces humidity. Next, special chemical applications kill all mold that may be present on the wall and ceiling surfaces inside a home.

About the Author

View all posts by

Comments are closed.